WELCOME TO FIRST CHRISTIAN CHURCH!

We are glad that you have taken the time to visit us. We are a diverse group of people who have entered into community with God and each other to be a witness to the kind of relationship the Creator seeks with all His creation. It is empowered by the Holy Spirit to take into all the world the news that Jesus is Lord, that he has won the victory over the forces of evil, that a new world has begun, and that we are partnering with Him to make it happen.

About Us

Started in January of 1956, First Christian Church was formed in effort to return to simple Christianity. FCC considers itself part of a "movement", rather than a denomination. Dating back to the 19th century, this group proposed to return to the doctrines, ordinances and practices of the early Christian Church. Their aim was restoration, not reformation; their only creed, the Christ; their only Head, Jesus Christ; their only rule of faith and practice, the Bible.

The original members consisted of nine Elgin and Elgin area people. Assisted by ministers from Mt. Vernon, Aurora and Rockford, FCC grew steadily, meeting in halls and schools.

In December of 1956, Bro. Glenn Giese of Ohio was called to minister with FCC. In January 1958, the church purchased its first building. One hundred thirty-five attended the first worship service. On Februray 9, 1958, formal community dedication services were held.

In February of 1964, FCC purchase a 3 acres of ground one-half mile east of Elgin on route 58, which is now currently in Elgin. On August 20, 1967, the first worship service was held and on October 15, 1967 FCC was formally dedicated and the community was invited.

Today, First Christian Church unites people of all different ethnicity, economic statuses, ages and spiritual backgrounds. The belief that Jesus Christ is our only Head and the Bible is our faith and practice still holds true today.