This week, in our teaching time, we examined the story of a group of friends who brought someone they cared deeply about to Jesus so that he might be healed. Jesus commends them for their faith. Faith, we discovered, is so much more than believing the right ‘facts, doctrines’ ABOUT Jesus. Instead, its a radical trust IN Jesus, knowing that He is the only one who can heal the brokenness that has paralyzed and crippled our lives for so long.
So here are some of the questions God has been challenging me over the past few weeks. I pray that they will do the same for you.
- What is your mat? What is that area of brokenness currently in your life?
- Are you more likely to carry someone else’s mat for them or to allow someone else to help carry yours? Why?
- How would you describe your faith? Is your faith in the right beliefs about Jesus or a radical trust in Jesus, as the only one who can bring healing to my life and life of those I care about?
- Do a little ‘community self-assessement’: If you had a crisis at 3 in the morning, who would you call? Who lifts you up in prayer and carries you to Jesus on a regular basis? Whose house can you drop into ‘unannouced’ without fear of embarrassment? To what extent are you part of community of friends who are a ‘radical faith’ in Jesus?
- Who is someone in your life who is experiencing extreme brokenness – spiritually, emotionally, physically? What are you doing to ‘get them to Jesus’? What does that answer say about your faith?